‘Did You Know’ there are common and significant risk factors for drug and/or alcohol abuse or dependence? Some of these risk factors include the following:
- Genetic vulnerability/ predisposition
- Early exposure to alcohol and/or drugs
- Co-morbid presence of mental disorders such as anxiety, depression, ADHD, bipolar, PTSD, personality disorders, conduct disorder, etc.
- Family abuse, neglect, and ineffective monitoring
- A parent, sibling, or family member with substance abuse and/or dependence
- Childhood learning disorders, poor academic achievement, truancy, or being a school dropout
- Associations with deviant peers or those who are socially marginalized and vulnerable
- Associations with gangs and/or those with criminal behaviors
- Having a temperament of high risk behaviors, impulsiveness, and/or aggressiveness
- Poor persistence
- Low self-esteem and/or lack of self-love
- Loneliness and isolation
- Disengaged family style
- Rigid family style
- Permissive, neglectful, authoritarian parenting styles
- Denial, rationalizing, minimizing, repressing, etc.
If you or a family member wants an evaluation to determine the dependence on a substance and desire recovery from that substance abuse, please call me, Carol Ann Worthing, PhD, at 303-663-5846 or visit my Contact page. I have over 20 years of professional experience with successful outcomes.
Carol Ann Worthing, PhD of Individual & Family Wholeness is a psychotherapist in private practice since 1992. She has her PhD in Psychology from Northcentral University in Arizona. She provides a safe and caring approach to your counseling and psychotherapy and evaluations for individuals, couples, families, and children. Her practice represents integrity, competency, and confidentiality, a safe and caring place for psychotherapy. It is her mission to guide you and your family to become emotionally and physically whole and to help you deliberately build your lives and families on that wholeness.