Excessive drinking can lead to vehicular accidents, hangovers, and unwanted calories and health problems. If you intend to celebrate with alcohol this holiday season, keep in mind the following tips on…
How to Control Drinking and Be Safe over the Holidays:
- Attend only the gatherings you really want to go to
- Arrive close to mealtime if invited to a dinner party; bypass the before-dinner drinks
- Opt for club soda, sparkling cider or mineral water, or other nonalcoholic drinks
- Eat something before you begin drinking and snack while you drink
- Minimize drinking punch made with alcohol; it may be quite potent
- Drink a glass or two of water in between drinks and before you go to bed to prevent dehydration
- Find someone to be your designated driver or arrange public transportation before you drink
- Avoid situations where there is a good likelihood that you will drink and drive
- Find people and places where you can celebrate without drinking alcohol
- Decide on a limit, such as two drinks, and stick to it
- If you have difficulty stopping, be accountable to a friend; decide to drink other nonalcoholic drinks
For more details visit:
Could You or Someone You Know Have a Drinking Problem?
While many adults enjoy alcohol in moderation, nearly 14 million people in the U.S. (1 of every 13 adults) abuse alcohol or become alcohol dependent. Many people are unaware of their alcohol problem until an alcohol induced illness, accident, or legal incident occurs. For that reason, it’s valuable for people who regularly drink alcohol to monitor their drinking patterns.
To assess whether you or someone you know may have a drinking problem, take the interactive quiz on the following web site:
Enjoy your winter holidays by savoring every moment and not worrying about the past. Stay in the now! As Abraham Maslow (a well-known American Psychologist, 1908-1970) said, “the ability to be in the present moment is a major component of mental wellness.”
Drinking and driving: there are stupider things, but it’s a very short list.
~ Author Unknown